Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Victims and Choices


               Why must people blame others for their own choices or a family member, especially when death is the outcome?
                A college student died 2 years ago from acute alcohol poisoning, the parents sued the fraternity and recently got a settlement for the death of their son.  Again a couple of years ago, 2 teenage girls died in a motor vehicle accident and parents were looking to blame someone.  Just this past weekend a teenage girl died in a vehicle accident after getting run over by a pickup truck.
                What do these 3 have in common?  They died do to the choices they made.  The first died from acute alcohol poisoning during a fraternity hazing.  While I don't condone hazing and think that most fraternities are nothing but preschoolers going to college, this person chose to try and get into a fraternity, to drink alcohol and get drunk as part of the initiation into the fraternity.  He could have said "no I won't do it" but decide to drink.  Not saying the people doing the hazing were not the blame for what happened, just that the blame also falls on the person who died.
                The 2 girls were in a vehicle accident at 1:30 in the morning on a school night coming back from a high school game where they were cheerleaders.  Why were they driving that late when the game ended most likely before.  Did I mentioned that there were no adults in the vehicle and one of the girl that died was the driver and was texting when the accident happened.
                Last example. a bunch of kids decided they  wanted to drive around town and shoot at people and buildings with a paintball gun for fun.  A female decided she wanted to stand up as the trunk took off driving to shoot at an office building.  She fell out of the bed of the truck she was in unto the street and was run over by the vehicle behind them who were also part of the "fun".
                All of these people were called victims.  Victims due to their age, being students, and death.  But really they were a victim of their own poor choices and stupidity.  But I also blame the parents for not teaching them right.  What are a group of teenagers especially girls being out at 1:30 in the morning on a school night?  Since when is it alright to shoot at people, paintball or not it can do harm, or buildings?  Knowing before hand that you have to drink the amount of alcohol that would make six drunk beyond the legal limit be safe to drink by one person?
                For all the bleeding hearts and overly sensitive people out there who say "What  if it was your child?".  My reply would be my children are not stupid to do things like that.  I taught them to make the right choices.  Yes people make mistakes or they can still choose to do things anyway than what was taught to them, but it's their choice and not because I as a parent didn't teach them not to.
                 If for some reason they are hurt or die in a situation I would blame myself and depending on the situation whoever was part of it to include my kid since it was their choice. But that doesn't mean I don't love them.
                I'm not saying all victims are victims due to their own bad choices .  There are victims where others are to blame and should be held accountable for what they have done.  Just we should stop trying to blame other for our own bad choices and be accountable for the choice we make. 
                These were just examples of real things that have happened and there are others choices such as drugs and smoking that can pose harm and/or kill that I could have talked about.  But for some reason I feel people would not get the point with those examples.
                Parents teach your children to make the right choices and be responsible for their choices whether it was right or wrong.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment